I was having a pleasant debate with a friend the other day about the concept of acceptance. He began expressing his intense feelings about the semantics of this word because he believes that there is an aura of “weakness” associated with this term, signifying giving up. This conversation was eye opening for me because many of the points he made were completely valid and I firmly believe is part of the mainstream thought process.
When you think of the term “acceptance,” what is the first thing that comes to your mind? I can imagine that it instigates feelings of emptiness, regret, deceit, or even exhaustion because the memory of whatever it is that you are holding onto feels like you are literally carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. This emotion has the potential to present a barrier to your personal growth, as your frustration and animosity for what once was has a paralyzing affect on your overall well-being. This unfortunate sense of consciousness might consume your mind as you begin to reflect on what happened in your past.
Path Of Achievement
I am not sure how palatable the term acceptance is for you, but what I can tell you is that there is infinite potential associated with its meaning. It deals with letting go of the frustrations of yesterday in order to enjoy the moments of today; it focuses on knocking down emotional barriers which have presented roadblocks to your personal growth; and as Denis De Rougamont once said, “Happiness can exist only in acceptance.” Because the Power Of Acceptance will enable you to travel down the Path Of Achievement.
This path is headed in the direction of your personal BRANDENTITY–where you begin to live the life that you create for yourself, as opposed to the life that someone or something has created for you to live. In this scenario, the something that is stealing your identity is simply a memory, one that has impacted the way you live your life for quite some time, but I am here to tell you that you have the ability to recognize what took place in your past. This acceptance has nothing to do with giving up, but everything to do with giving to yourself and moving forward.
When traveling down the path of achievement, it is important to bring directions, so that you know exactly where you are looking to go and what you are aspiring to achieve. Therefore, I am going to provide you with 6 Steps that will enable you to accept what happened long ago and start living in an entirely new way.
- Write a list of areas where acceptance would heal- The first step is to determine exactly where your frustrations are taking place in your life. It could be a prior relationship, your career, past events or anything else that tends to surface in your world.
- Picture yourself when you were child - What stress existed at this stage of development? Maybe this was a crayon that was broken, a peer knocking down your blockhouse, or having a crush and being denied.
- Envision yourself 5 years into the future- This will enable you to look at the current situation in your life through an outside perspective.
- Laugh – When you have placed yourself in the future, in a figurative sense, and then look back at the prior years, you will begin to LAUGH because the areas which resulted in stress were nothing in the big picture of life. Similar to how the emotions associated with a broken crayon are of little importance.
- Take Action – Now that you have laughed at your past self because of the stress which you ALLOWED into your life, it is time to TAKE ACTION and begin accepting. This might result in calling long lost friends, forcing yourself to move on, or making amends between family members. The stress associated with these negative events does not serve you, but rather consumes you, and needs to be eliminated from your existence.
- Recycle – We are all human beings, and as a result, this is not a one-time process and instead something that needs to be utilized and implemented on a regular basis in order to induce sustained change.
Life as a Puzzle
It is important that you clearly understand the quote by Denis De Rougamont because this captures the essence of acceptance as it is IMPOSSIBLE, to be happy until we accept what took place in our past. Remember, life is a puzzle, one that has millions of pieces which represent experiences that have taken place in your world. Similar to how a puzzle needs all of its pieces to be complete, your life needs all of the experiences for you to grow and establish your personal BRANDENTITY. Some of these experiences will be ones that you cherish for a lifetime, and others will represent areas of your life that you resent, such as a difficult upbringing, arguments with in-laws, a horrible marriage, or mistakes from the past. But what I encourage you to realize is that until you learn to accept what you are still holding onto, there will be no room for positive experiences in the NOW. So remember, the semantics of the term acceptance mean nothing because the Power Of Acceptance will enable you to travel down the Path Of Achievement, to a place where opportunities become endless, happiness is a virtue and your BRANDENTITY is revealed.
What does this mean to you? Please leave a comment.
Please click on the play button in order to listen to an audio of this blog post.