January

2010

Posted in:

6 Strategies to Become Bountifully Employed

Post image for 6 Strategies to Become Bountifully Employed

The message I am going to share with all of you today is one that is extremely timely because of the record setting unemployment statistics which are inflicting our world. We crossed the double-digit mark as a nation, with many states in a worse position than the national average. This means that a significant number of households are living with the challenges of nonexistent family income and diminished savings. I understand a large percentage of the BRANDENTITY membership is overseas, but I have been told that these times are just as difficult in other countries as well. It is important to realize that with all of the stress and uncertainty we are experiencing, opportunities are becoming available for those who look past the current economic storm. This is a topic which I speak about consistently because what I have seen is that many people are living in a “survival state,” as they curl up into a ball, and have their victim mentality revealed to the world. This completely relates to the Law of Attraction because as we sit stagnant, all that we can think about is our unfortunate circumstances, which then attracts even more unfortunate circumstances into our lives.

Just the other day, I was at the gym and the woman who was on the treadmill next to me was watching the news. I began reading the subtitles as I was running because a “career expert” was being interviewed on CNN about what to do during the economic downturn in order to find work. He went into greater detail on the intricacies of the job search and provided 5 steps to differentiate yourself from your peers. His fifth and final step is one that I want to discuss in greater detail because he used a cliché in order to communicate his message to the audience.

Step 5: It is all about who you know…

outcomeAlthough I agree with his premise behind this philosophy because it consists of analyzing your network for opportunities, I firmly believe there is a fundamental principle that needs to take place prior to the implementation of this method. The first person who you need to know is YOURSELF! I obviously understand that the current demand for jobs far surpasses the supply, but I also believe that many people are unsure of what they are truly seeking in their lives. As a result, even if they were to have someone within their network who could provide assistance, the relationship would not be used to the best of its ability, and the unemployed individual will remain unemployed.

There is another piece to this equation in that when we operate from desperation, we often pursue opportunities which are not congruent with the “who we are.” Therefore, if we have not taken time to define the WHO WE ARE, then we do not even know if we are headed in a direction which will lead us to where we want to go. I understand that many people are living in desperation because of their lack of finances, resulting in individuals pursing any job for the sake of a paycheck. I believe this approach is perfectly fine, but what I need to share with you is that these opportunities are temporary, and you must not allow any self-limiting beliefs to prevent you from eventually pursing a more congruent opportunity when it becomes available. Therefore, I have developed a list of 6 Strategies to Become Bountifully Employed:

1. Make a list of every prior career, job, hobby, etc. that you participated in and then write what you enjoyed about each experience.

PrintTake the time to literally put yourself in the place that brings you the most satisfaction and fulfillment. The reason this is so important is because once you allow yourself to recognize these emotions, you will do everything in your power to include these activities in your life.

2. Make a list of every prior career, job, hobby, etc. that you participated in and then write what you disliked about each experience.

The inverse of this is also true because once you take the time to put yourself in the place that leads to frustration and emptiness, you will do everything in your power to avoid repeating this pattern.

3. Make a list of organizations that would be considered dream jobs, and then write a letter to the CEO while explaining how you could add value to his/her organization.

Does this approach “sound crazy” to you? It is definitely outside the realm of what ordinary people think to do. Most people use Monster.com, headhunters, etc., but why not write DIRECTLY to the person who is in charge. I realize these people get tons of emails throughout the day, but few if any are from individuals looking for an opportunity to add value to their organization. This strategy works because I have seen it lead to unbelievable situations in the lives of the willing.

4. Read books about areas of interest and write letters to the authors.

What areas of interest exist in your world? Find books that discuss these topics, and then write letters to the authors with your vision for your future. These authors are typically well connected because there research came from people in powerful positions, and if your message echoes in their mind, they might consider making a connection.

5. Attend Networking Events

cocktailMany of you may think that a networking event consists of handing your business card to a group of unemployed people because this is typically the audience at these gatherings, but my definition is extremely different. Take time to research social events in your area where the “elite” will commensurate. Once you create a list, begin contacting the organization, PR agency, or anyone else who is responsible for arranging this event. Ask for an invite or offer to provide assistance because attending these events has the potential to open doors for you.

6. Never stop believing in yourself because you still possess all of the tools to thrive in life, regardless of your employment status.

This is the foundation to the success of your life, career, relationships, etc. Belief is the fundamental principle to controlling the outcome of your life. Life is not about having the most resources, but rather being the most resourceful. You were born with all of the tools needed to thrive, now use them!

unemployed6If you take the time to implement these 6 Strategies into your life, I believe it will bring you closer to realizing your AUTHENTIC SELF within your career. I have found that one of the main sources of an IDENTITY CRISIS is pursuing a career which is not congruent with your mission. As a result, you go through the motions, never reaching your full potential, and always feeling unfulfilled and empty. The beauty of this exercise is that you do not need to be unemployed to benefit, and instead, could yearn to Become Bountifully Employed, where you awake each day with newfound energy and excitement for the endless opportunities on the horizon.

So invest the time in yourself, because regardless of the current economic climate, your IDENTITY is something that must remain consistent with who you are and what you want to become, and your career is one of the dimensions to making this a reality.

Are you currently unemployed or wrongfully employed? What are you going to do about it?

What does this mean to you? Please leave a comment.

Some pictures from Flickr.

Please click on the play button in order to listen to an audio of this blog post.

Click here to download an MP3 of this blog post for any IPOD or MP3 Player…

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Mike Blackstone January 15, 2010 at 10:42 am

Jared, Absolutely excellent message!

JY January 17, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Thank you for your wonderful feedback!

Dr. Charles DesJardins January 18, 2010 at 12:16 pm

It is interesting how people think about employment. Some folks find identity in employment, that is, it’s attached to the ego. When the job works out great, there ego is stroked. When the job does not work out, the ego is broke.

People can also think of their employment in terms of the power it gives them or takes away from them – a job can make a person feel empowered or it can make them feel disempowered.

People can also think of their employment in terms of the time they spent at it, the time they are spending at it, and the time they need to spend at it in the future. The concept of time in a person’s life will affect the concept of the happiness or sadness of the time at the employment.

People can also think about their employment in terms of how others may view them or in their relationship to others while there at work. Ones perspective of what they think of other people has an effect on how they think about their employment.

And some people can also think about their employment in terms of how it fits into their overall world view. How it fits into their overall gestalt of the world.

Thus we can laden our employment deep inside the matrix of our minds and find peace with our jobs or misery with our jobs – the question then becomes, do we change our jobs or change our matrix – ah, deep down the rabbit hole we go!!

JY January 19, 2010 at 12:16 am

I love questions that result in even more questions and maybe an answer which is buried deep within a philosophical conversation. The way you ended this message is pure genius because what it comes down to is choosing between changing jobs or changing a matrix. Sometimes people feel like the first option is not possible, while the later is untouchable. Instead, they allow their career, or lack their of, to consume their existence because they wallow in what is and what they desire to be, but will never attain without action.

I always enjoy your messages because they force me to think (which results in few hours of sleep) in a way that I have truly never thought before.

Thank you for being YOU Dr. Charles!!!!

alexander mcdonell January 19, 2010 at 5:41 am

Absolutely it is about who you are. I find that if people can define exactly what they most want to do – their dream job – then invariably it is easy to achieve. There are a few reasons for this:

1. No competition – there is no two people with the same dream. So your dream is unique. You don’t have to compete with anyone to do it.

2. Enthusiasm – you put energy into your dreams. Energy that makes things happen.

3. Charisma – people who chase their dreams are attractive and charismatic it makes employers want to hire you

4. Talent – invariably your dream job is also something that you are talented in – so you do it well.

JY January 19, 2010 at 2:29 pm

This is such an insightful concept that you shared especially the first reason. I have always been a huge advocate of a competition-less world because similar to how all of us have our own unique DNA, we also have our personal dreams and identity that is similar only to ourselves. Once we are able to bring this philosophy into our consciousness, we will then be able to clearly determine what it is that we are looking to achieve and how to go about making this a reality. I believe clarity and outcome are directly correlated because the clearer you are, the more precise your result will be….

Great share Alexander!

kathleen leos January 23, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Life is a journey and What we do in life is an outward expression of who we are on our journey. The journey may change many times as we change and get closer to our own inner truth and the outward expression of that truth. This may and can happen if we are thrust into the workforce at an early age and dont have the leisure or the time to pick and choose initially- it may be just about survival. However, as we are working to survive, we can begin to change by deeper listening and exploring and the closer we get to know the inner space- the more we can express it through our work in our public space. QUOTE: Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented,
and fabulous.
Actually, who are you not to be? Marianne Williamson

JY January 24, 2010 at 12:16 am

Kathleen…this is a profound statement because many people often feel that their circumstances are preventing them from pursuing something that is a passion, but like you so eloquently stated: “as we are working to survive, we can begin to change by deeper listening and exploring and the closer we get to know the inner space- the more we can express it through our work in our public space.”

This is AMAZING….also, I wrote an entire article about Marianne Williamson’s quote because it is one of my favorite from all time….it will be published within the next few weeks!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing…!

kathleen leos January 25, 2010 at 7:40 am

I am on a new journey. I have been taking the time, space and commitment to be silent and listen. I have connected with profound places in my soul. I have a sense of peace, solitude, commitment, self-truth and acceptance that I have never experienced before. I am happy to share it with others. It has been a very long and challenging journey but it has been very revealing and rewarding. My journey has led me to places and circumstances not experienced by many and for that I am deeply grateful. It has allowed me to know me. I understand my strengths and weaknesses, my success and failure, my talents and the areas that need work. I have made alot of mistakes along the way and I have asked others for forgiveness and I have (more importantly) learned to forgive myself. Collectively it has led me to know who I am. I understand my mission. I am led by a vision, I have united with my deep spiritual sense. It has been amazing . I am so thankful. I feel so unique and am ready to explore new vistas! Learning and listening and taking time to deeply connect with oneself and not just react to life’s circumstances makes all the difference in the world.

JY January 25, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Kathleen you are an inspiration to so many and the example you lead will enable people to gravitate to the who you are…keep it going Kathleen..AMAZING!

Mike Blackstone January 25, 2010 at 10:58 am

Kathleen, your message inspired me enough to be curious about who you are. After that, I remain inspired and not without a little awe and plenty of gratitude for who you are.

JY January 25, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Thank you for recognizing Kathleen because she is a leader in her own world!!!!

Kay Lorraine January 26, 2010 at 5:28 am

In response to #1 (Make a list of every hobby, etc…..) Many years ago, I was totally burned out on my career. I decided to change my life. I closed my company and moved to Hawaii. What had really given me satisfaction in my previous life was my community work. So I went to work in the nonprofit field and, sure enough, I found a new career that I love. I’ve found that life is truly what happens to you while you were planning something else. You never know how it’s going to turn out, but you have to be willing to take some risks or you’ll never know your true potential. If you fail, then you fail. So what? Then you’ll try something else. Risks are good for you. I highly recommend them.

JY January 26, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Kay this is profound advice and also a wonderful story. The statement is one that I resonate with in so many ways:

“I’ve found that life is truly what happens to you while you were planning something else. ”

We need to let the UNIVERSE do what it does best because as long as we are open to the endless possibilities, we will be headed in the direction of something incredible. I admire your desire to serve and so appreciate your willingness to share!